Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Work of Art: America's Next Great Artist



While I must admit I am intrigued by the new Bravo show, as I am watching it right now, I also can't help but be skeptical. As an artist of some sort, I realize how great an opportunity it is. The main prize is a solo exhibition at the Brooklyn Art Museum! That's an amazing opportunity. But art is inherently subjective. And I can't help but think that the whole thing is bogus. How are they going to judge art this way? All pieces of art (and artists for that matter) are judged both positively and negatively. One limited panel of judges isn't going to accurately critique a piece. And with all the intermingling styles of each artist things are going to get very hairy.

However, the setup of the show is the intriguing part. The show is setup in a Project Runway-esque sort of way, in that the contestants are given broad challenges to complete within a certain amount of time. This provides a test of the contestants creativity that has probably never been matched in their lives (hell, you have more time in art school, and no, your procrastinating doesn't count). It's an exciting venture, and an exciting show to watch. But you know the old saying, critics don't want something straightforward, they want something that needs to be analyzed. I hope the contestants keep that in mind. The more ridiculous these artists present their ideas, the better.

And so far my favorite artist is the unemployed guy who sleeps either in his truck or at his parents house. I especially love that he says he doesn't know exactly what Miles is doing, but he likes it anyway because it's loud, and he has goggles and fancy equipment. He's hysterical and goofy and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment